The Planners Sessions 2019
A great and informative event for our real estate community each year, is the annual Planner’s Seminars for Collingwood, The Blue Mountains, Clearview, Wasaga Beach and Meaford. The planner from Grey Highlands was unable to make it today.
This year, there seemed to be a common theme, and that was customer service. Each municipality touched on their efforts to improve their service to their clients (that’s you and me!) Websites have been enhanced or in the process of being enhanced so that the consumer of planning information for their respective municipality is more readily available to the viewing public.
Each planner also undertook to be available in a reasonable amount of time to answer questions, however, most would prefer that more official requests be made (and a fee paid) for more complex enquiries.
This series will be in five parts – one part for each municipality: Meaford, Wasaga Beach, Clearview, The Blue Mountains and Collingwood. This week we will focus on the town of Wasaga Beach. Wasaga Beach town website can be viewed here.
Due to Provincial Policy Changes and Bill 108, the town of Wasaga Beach is trying to make it easier to increase secondary suite stock.
Bill 108, aka the “More Homes, More Choice, 2019 “ act, came into force September 3, 2019
- No 3rd party appeals to subdivisions
- Development charges are frozen for 2 years after Site Plan/ZBA
- Second residential units are permitted as of right, subject to zoning.
- May be occupied by any person, regardless of whether the primary unit is occupied by the owner
- Permitted without regard to the date of construction of the primary or ancillary building
- permitted in a new single-detached dwelling, semi-detached dwelling, row dwelling, ancillary structure
- Additional dwelling units can be created within ancillary structures of existing dwellings without triggering a development charge
Wasaga Beach has many online tools to help guide residents through adding a secondary unit. View their comprehensive guide here.
New OLG/Gateway Casino
- 7.5 acres at Mosley and Lyons (roundabout).
- Read about the casino here.
- 150 new jobs are projected at the casino
- Projections are that the casino will bring the town a dependable revenue stream of $1.5 to $2.0 MM per annum
- Construction is scheduled to start in 2020
More Wasaga Beach Info…
- Review of the Zoning Bylaw will commence in 2020
- New Official Plan will be ready in the Summer of 2020
- Julie stated that Wasaga Beach wants more families to move to the area, and stated that Wasaga Beach has TONS of capacity.
New Double Pad Arena and New Library
Wasaga Beach is getting a new double pad arena and library at 544 River Road West – read the press release here.
The town of Wasaga Beach is undertaking the following initiatives, aiding economic development
- Digital Main Street: Available for commercial business in the main street area: $2,500 digital improvement grant rebate
- Façade Improvement Program: Available for commercial businesses, across Wasaga, $2,000 façade improvement grant; includes hardscaping of frontages as well.
- Georgian Bay Coastal Route & Cycle Simcoe: Working with regional partners, the town is working to provide interconnectivity and build-out existing trail systems, supporting more recreation in the future.
- Municipal partner for South Georgian Bay Tourism: This regional partnership helps to move visitors across the region.
For information on current developments in Wasaga Beach, click here for the Active Development Map.